Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Better Kind of Rest


Matthew 11:28
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

Taking naps is so nice. Being able to sleep during the day if only for 20 minutes, is such a blessing. I love to sit in my bed, and let myself fall so softly into a place where reality is a dream, and dreams are reality. Not only do I love to nap, but I think that what makes a nap that much better is to have someone soothing me into sleep. When my mother rubs my back. I cannot resist someone rubbing my back. It feels so good, and it will put me to sleep right away. I absolutely adore when someone will do that for me. (Quinn - Kosova) When a friend puts their arm around me as I fall asleep on their shoulder. It just feels nice to have someone there that is sort of protecting me, or holding me as I sleep. I think it might even help me rest better, having someone there.

I like to imagine that is what Christ is saying in this verse. He knows we're tired, he knows we need a nap. He is the one rubbing your back, or putting his arm around you. He is singing a lullabye or rocking you back and forth. I love the image of this all-powerful, all-mighty God wanting to let us lay down in his lap and take a nap. It seems so safe, so comfortable.

I can't imagine that I could find a better rest somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment