Sunday, September 21, 2008

Love


What does the word love even mean? Webster tells us many things about love. He says that love is a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person. He also tells us that love is a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.


But does that really tell us what love is? I know I feel affection for others, and I have personal attachment to many people.


Some define love as the willingness to do anything for that person. To help them through a hard time, to celebrate with them during happy times, or even to die for them. Love stops at nothing. But there has to be more than willingness to do anything and a feeling that one has for another.


Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8


Always. Love ALWAYS protects, ALWAYS trusts, ALWAYS hopes, ALWAYS perseveres. Talk about pressure. Love includes so much. It scares me. How am I supposed to say, "I love you" if I can't be sure that I will ALWAYS do all of those things.


Lord help me to love. Help me to learn to love, I have no love in my heart on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment